Shela House, Shela Village
One of Lamu’s very first private holiday homes, elegant 5-bedroom Shela House has been charming visitors to the island for more than 25 years. Often rented together with next door Palm House and nearby Beach House, together they can comfortably accommodate over 30 guests.
- A charming and very comfortable private house in a prime village location
- Beautifully furnished with traditional Swahili furniture and antiques
- Just 100 metres from beach, seafront and Peponi Hotel
- Super-helpful and experienced management and staff
- Accommodates up to 9 guests in 4 ensuite bedrooms
- Rentals from Ksh 35,000 per night for 6 guests
Palm House sits just 100 metres from the seafront in Shela Village, close to the eastern tip of Lamu Island. The island’s main beach is just moments from the house, as are Peponi Hotel and the other attractions of the village. Lamu Town is two miles north of Shela, and Manda Island and its airport are just a short boat ride away.
“Palm House is absolutely gorgeous – from the airy yet cosy central courtyard to the fabulous, elegant bedrooms this house was a dream from start to finish. Only a 30-second walk from Peponi and the beachfront, Palm House is an oasis of peace and is designed beautifully – the photos just can’t do it justice. There are even 2 roof terraces, both perfect for hanging out; one with 4 dreamy hanging beds (perfect for reading/napping) and another equipped with its own bar and large seating area, which we used to its full advantage. After being greeted at the airport by the inimitable Chui whose warmth made us feel right at home from the moment we arrived, the staff at Palm House were incredible; so friendly, warm and welcoming, and anticipated our needs even before we did! Johnson (the chef) makes phenomenal meals, no need to eat out anywhere else – his fish and prawns are some of the best seafood I’ve ever had – and Pascal & Benson took wonderful care of us from start to finish. At Palm House they’ve thought of everything – beautiful touches are everywhere and Angelika the manager has catered for all your needs. She made booking and arrival easy, and was such a pleasure to talk with. She’s a fantastic host! Go stay, and bliss out!”
- Standard rental rate – Ksh 35,000 per night for up to 6 guests
- Rental rate – Ksh 40,000 per night for 7-9 guests
- Christmas & New Year – $900 per night for up to 9 guests
- Minimum stay – 2 nights (7 nights at Christmas & New Year)
- Maximum occupancy – 9 guests
- Palm House is rented on a ‘self catering’ basis including the services of chef and housekeeper.
- One return airport boat transfer is included in the rental price
- Check-in – after 3.30 pm, Check out – before 11 am
- Laundry service available at extra cost
Please click through and refresh the calendar in order to see the most up-to-date availabilities