Zuhura House, Lamu
A classic Lamu townhouse in the heart of the ancient Stone Town - beautifully refurbished and full of character, comfort and charm. Zuhura House sits in the town’s oldest neighbourhood - yet is just moments from Lamu’s seafront and town square.
Zuhura House follows the traditional plan of an 18th Century Lamu house – a daka entrance porch with baraza seats and beautifully-carved teak front door leads on to a series of high-ceilinged galleries with zidaka niches, carved plasterwork designs and decorative ceiling friezes. As well as the imposing entrance gallery, the ground floor now houses the spacious kitchen, pantry, cloakroom and store.
Attached to the rear of the house and looking onto the colourful walled garden is an attractive, makuti-thatched terrace – with dining area and living area with built-in sofa seats. From the front courtyard, open stairs climb to the first floor which houses the two double bedrooms and bathrooms. Both bedrooms have built-in wardrobes and ceiling fans.
The second floor living room with makuti-thatched ‘cathedral ceiling’ is unusually large and airy – it has a built-in baraza sofa and tables - and bar area with fridge. The semi-covered, roof terrace with sofa seats is a nice and breezy place to dine alfresco in the evenings. Also on the second floor is the ‘teahouse’ - a study or occasional bedroom – and there is an additional small office attached to the living room.
- Historic, atmospheric and beautifully-renovated and extended
- 2 double bedrooms and 2 shower rooms
- Second floor study or single bedroom
- Colourful walled garden with covered dining terrace
- Spacious makuti-thatched living room with attached office
- Second floor roof terrace, internal courtyard
- Comfortable and welcoming – full of character and history
- Already a successful holiday rental property
- Mains power and water
- KSh 20 million – Freehold title
Zuhura House is also available to rent further details